Cyprus - Work Permits

Non-EU Citizens

Non-EU citizens intending to work in Cyprus require a work permit (as well as a visa) before arriving in the country. In order to issue a work permit, the Ministry of Labour must be satisfied that a Cypriot or an EU citizen isn't available to do the job.

The procedure for granting employment permits is governed by the Foreign and Migration Law, and by decisions of the Council of Ministers and of the Parliamentary Committee responsible for matters pertaining to Foreigners

There are two categories of permit: Executive and Non-executive. Executive refers to those who are directors or partners of companies registered with the Registrar of Companies in Cyprus, as well as departmental managers of international companies with offices in Cyprus. Non-executive refers to other managerial, professional, administrative, technical and clerical staff.

A work permit, when granted, is usually valid for three months or a year.

Documents Required for Obtaining a Visa and Cyprus Work Permit

The follow documents must be submitted to the Migration Department together with our application for a Cyprus Work Permit. This is not an exhaustive list as the Migration Officer examining your application may request some other document.

  • A valid passport valid for at least 3 years.
  • A temporary short term visa, secured from the Cyprus Embassy in the country of your residence.
  • Insurance policy for foreign citizens.
  • Rental Agreement for a house or flat for at least one year.
  • Employment agreement for at least one year.
  • Clean criminal record letter by relevant Authority of your country.
  • Fill in the necessary Forms M58 and M64.
  • Pay the necessary fee to the Migration Department.
  • A letter of Bank Guarantee for a sum which depends on the country of origin of the Applicant from 300 to 1200 euro.
  • Medical Examinations Certificates, for the applicant.

To obtain an entry permit and to renew temporary residence and employment permits, the relevant application form must be submitted, along with the fee of CY£20.

More information regarding the employment of Third Country nationals (non-EU) can be found at the relevant section of the web pages of the Civil Archive & Migration Department, as well as the Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance (Department of Labour).